Monday, April 20, 2009

This morning, Monday, April 20th, Mike returns to the hospital for a 2nd round of treatments. Yesterday, he was in church. Yes, he was in a wheelchair. Yes, he was weak. Yes, he was tired. But he was there, and it brought him joy to be there.

Mike spoke to us, with that mischievous twinkle in his eye, of his desire for prayer. "Just tell everyone to keep on their schedule of prayer." Then he added, "Maybe tell them to bump it up a bit." Hear that, saints? Bump up the prayer schedule for Mike!

He tells anyone who will listen of how surprised he has been by the way God has drawn him closer to himself. I commented to him, "You've been to the dark place and found out that God was there." And he look straight at me and said, "Oh he's there alright. You can believe that!"

I asked if perhaps we could bring a group of musicians to come and sing at his house, but Sandi shared that he is extremely fragile right now, and it would just be too much. Indeed, Barry and I visited yesterday, and Mike appeared to be very tired. Of course, the medication makes him very sleepy too.

Of course, this is as hard on Sandi as Mike. She has so many decisions to make right now, so much of a load to carry by herslef, and so many strange emotions to deal with. Mike was in the hospital for 30 days! Now he's going back for another 5 or 6 days. It's tough to wake up each day to this reality and simply to his absence while he's under treatment.

If you want to visit Mike this week while he's under treatment, he is on the 8th floor of Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Please don't bring food or plants, and though we love Mike, refrain from the kisses too. (I know this is a big disappointment to all the guys out there! ;)

Sandi could use all the encouragement she can get too. I recommend we pray for her as much as Mike and look for ways to encourage her.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, for the update! I felt soooo convicted, of "bad Sunday morning attitudes" that often occur, as I scurry to get the boys and self out the door, when I saw Mike, sitting there, y'day in his wheelchair......here I am with a healthy (lazy and fat) body and two healthy boys and I'm grumbling....and there he sat, w/ that trinkle in those blue eyes....ready to worship. Forgive me, Dear Father. Sigh.

    Smothering the Sinns in prayers.

    ReplyDelete